Contact Us Today

What is an Enrolled Agent?

Dollar bills background


What is an Enrolled Agent? 

EA is the professional designation for an Enrolled Agent. EAs are tax professionals, similar to CPA's and tax attorneys.

Only Enrolled Agents, CPA's and Attorneys can represent the public in all matters before the IRS ,except for Tax Court, where an attorney must represent you. 

To become a credentialed EA, the person must pass an IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, they must agree to adhere to ethical standards, and they must complete 72 hours of continuing education every three years. 

Because their enrollment is a federal designation, they can work across state borders, whereas CPA's and attorneys must meet the reciprocity requirements of any state they wish to practice in.